Saturday, June 4, 2005

Book Tag!

So I’ve been tagged! Let me give this one a shot..

Estimate the total number of books you've owned in your life.
How am I supposed to do this?? 10 per year of my life would be little. I’ll go by 40 per year – which including study books as a lit major would be safely inside the mark; approximately 1,000.

What's the last book you bought?
Books - I bought three at once. Veronica Decides to Die and By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, both by Paolo Coelho. The former was my gift to a friend for her birthday and I had mine signed for my birthday, too. I intuit that it will be good. The other book I bought(had my bro buy me) is He’s Just Not That Into You.

What's the last book you read?
He’s Just Not That Into You. Wiam sent me an article by this name, so I decided to pick it up. She has good taste, that girl

List 5 books that mean a lot to you.
I’m having trouble which despite my lit major is embarrassing…I’ll try. (None of the following from college)
o He’s Just Not That Into You. I wish this book had come my way a long time ago. An honest, funny, and no-nonsense guide to throwing out all the no-good excuses – and guys – we girls tolerate. I’m spreading this book to my friends. Trust me, if you’re even thinking of going to a friend for ‘advice’ on the guy you have a crush on but have doubts about, pick this up.
o Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. One of the early romances in my life. It got me interested in the author’s other works, and although I found her style consistently engaging, nothing held the magic of “Last night I dreamt I was in Manderley again…” (I have goosebumps). There is something of the Wuthering Heights haunted-love aura in the novel.
o The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin. Yes the actor! My brother bought it for my last birthday – and it was a healthy dose of laughter. A genius who is painfully unable to deal with day-to-day activities like crossing the street tries to make his way into the world. Maybe I read into it too much, but I believe humour comes out of a poignant understanding of life – and the only alternative outlook is that of tragedy.
o Le Petit Prince by Antoine de St-Exupery. I have to re-read this soon. There’s many reasons this left an impression on me. Actually its exactly that – this book is like a stamp, leaves an impression.
o Neruda’s Garden: An Anthology of Odes by Pablo Neruda. Gawd, I cannot remember now how I first met Pablo but this is one book I want to have. Celebrates all things in life. Life, the poor poets/believed you to be bitter...../ That is not true./ You are beautiful.."

Ok, turns out I do agree with Brad, I can think of a few more, theory books. Most, actually all, psychology-related such as Freud’s Hysteria, bits of Lacan and Fanon.

Tag five people:
Ah! I do know whom to tag! Sil, Grugeh, Zuby, Maggie, Ara and Andy.

Off you go!

3 comments:

BradHeintz.com said...

Thanks for answering the questions! My wife and I are also fans of Pablo Neruda. He wrote my single favorite line of poetry in any language: "Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos."

CK said...

ouch! you understand spanish.. i'm learning!! I think I did read something about Neruda on yours or Kristin's site.

but i got that phrase, i remember it from the bilingual translation i read:

"I want to do to you, what the spring does to the cherry trees".

yes, its perfect. I read so much criticism about that dude - i don't know why people want to spoil our perfect love :) haha.

sisil said...

oooo I got tagged... *working on it*