Thursday, March 3, 2005

Business and Being Busy

Ahem: to people that note such things: the date of the blog is the date i wrote/ not posted ;)

I’m not really busy today but most of the week at work just passes – and when I leave for the weekend or for lunch breaks during the week I find myself feeling guilty for taking time-off; not everybody in the office can do that. I’m really pleased about a few changes that are taking place though. I was hyper-excited to see that we had a website now. Its still “under construction” with a really cute sign, but it’s a must see! I was so silly-excited that we had a site finally!

Then I’m good friends with Amal at the office now. The other day, last Saturday or Sunday I think, she took me to the tourist port in Port Said where a boat from Malta sailing from Germany then Lebanon in Egypt now and heading for Jordan next, was selling books. I bought quite a good bunch at really good prices. There were people from all over the world and one dude fetched this Indian lady once he discovered I was Indian. Amal was really sweet and took me all the way home in the taxi and paid for the melon (green) ice-cream and the ride home.

At the office, Amal is titled as reception but really does a lot more. What impresses me is that she takes the initiative. Apparently, she called the website-hosts and told them to hurry their act and all. Plus, we agreed to work together on the website, and she has already started the work – which gives me more time to focus on marketing to other companies. Good news has also come on that front – for one thing I am finding good websites and I made a good contact today – and if things go well then we might have an order on our hand. I really hope for Dad’s sake that we do. I also really hope that as soon as I can, I help this factory to reach its potential, because I do believe it has lots, and with a few more people like Amal (and I hope she is the gem I think she is) I will leave them in more trustworthy hands. Mom’s been telling me that Dad has other dreams where he sees me in the factory in the future, but I really don’t want to stick around all that much. Its fun, like many things are, but not ‘it’.

On the other hand, I received an editing & writing offer from Egypt Insight today and I’m really happy about it. Actually my article isn't on it online but only in the print issue AND they don't have pictures :(. But there has been an unfortunate misunderstanding about what I was told was the per-word-price. I sincerely hope it doesn’t affect matters between Sarah Majdi, who offered me the job, and myself, because she really did give me a great opportunity – no matter the pay. It was real job satisfaction and I got to meet established and probably upcoming people in the film industry and watch great movies, even make a few good pals. Hell, I’ll take the job. I’m just waiting for this one issue to be resolved.

At the interview, I was suggesting various ways that I could accrue free books, CDs, discounted trips etc. for writing articles on books, cds and places. The person talking me said, “You like bargains eh?” I felt queasy – like omigawd the ‘biznus’ is affecting me. But that’s fine – I already have established like I told her that I’d just love to travel. Seeing that I haven’t done much about it… :P But hey, maybe in May I might take a trip to UK or some other European destination.

Charles already left the country for Belgium and said he’d try to meet me up if I went somewhere in Europe this summer. I might even do some business while I’m there – make or meet up with contacts. I wonder if mixing pleasure with business will be a good idea – but I’d be glad to be of help and to travel abroad at the same time. I’m looking forward to going to UK though – would be my first time, and I think I might be able to meet up with a fair amount of people.

The other day we met a representative from Coats Egypt, Mr. Zaheer uddin Shah, who happens to be Naseeruddin Shah’s elder brother, who is a first-class Indian and international actor. Mr. Zaheer seems like an interesting person, and I liked the fact that Dad and him interacted positively, although Dad does tend to get a shade negative when relating his past. I really do pray things get better at the factory; a lot of people have put in the effort and it does have the potential – all it needs are a few productive nudges – once we get the business rolling, all will work out from there.

Enough of dat, I really wanted to write about friends and meeting up. Now that I have weekends, I try to make them full and meet up with people while conducting a few meetings as well. Tonight I’ll be going to a houseboat party, inshallah, and I’ll meet a few new friends I’ve made. One of them is Konstantina, Nikos’ friend from Greece, and a pair of guys I met at the Pharoes club last time I went dancing for Sarah Hees’ farewell party. And maybe as happens in Cairo a few more familiar faces will pop up there already. Will be nice. Dad’s a bit more lenient about ‘curfews’ now that I work for him.

Tomorrow, I should go teach Deepak around 11ish – and I had forgotten and made an appointment with Amr (one of the Pharoes’ pair from above paragraph) that I’d probably meet him for a morning horse-riding gig. Dudes and dudettes who have never been or never tried should try this: horse-riding early mornings at the pyramids. The other thing he suggested was Al Azhar park, and I think I’ll probably go for that. Except I should also manage to meet 2-3 other people this weekend, will see how it goes. I like it busy :)!

Love to Meryam. I feel like I haven’t been communicating, but I know you’ll read, and hate me putting you up here nyah nyah (forgive me as always) :).

No comments: