Tuesday, February 8, 2005

Email to blog

I write really well when I write to Meryam (there you are on my blog again, its inevitable ;) ) So here is a small extract from my email to her which pretty much sums how things are going:



Numerous possibilities working out well. for the first time in my life i discovered that auc has a media services library where i can watch videos. i just browsed through it because i'm looking for something/anything relating to steve martin and there is only one video "the life and times of sara baartman" a black figure that wassexualised - sounds contoversially intellectual :). I just finished reading his "The Pleasure of My Company" yesterday, and it was brilliant.I miss it already. I want to read more of his work. (You know what to buy me for my birthday) :P (send me a picture postcard of him, thatwould be fine too). Anyhow, so i browsed through the library and there were a lot of other interesting videos - on thinking creatively, bill moyers' interview to do with apartheid in s. africa, i like bill moyers cos of joseph campbell and there's even a whole collection on campbell! then life in the 50s.. and what not! okay in total its nothing compared to the library at uiuc, but at least i can browse through this one by walking through it rather than stand behind a desk and wonder which one they might have there.. i can let something catch my eye, rather than seek it out.What else? I have decided that i'll read more french and MORE HUMOUR definitely.. brings me to such a good relaxing phase before going to bed. I cannot remember the last time just read read read until i met steve martin (gushing stupidteenager). I am even thinking of writing him a letter to say all that fan crap... except I have to figure a way to be a tad bit original so that the letter may even make it to him.



I'm writing for Egypt Insight magazine, am covering an article on EUfilm festival, and so am going to see all these great movies everyday,with a few exceptions. I think humour is just amazing. It makes its way into everything, even the direst of situations. I did like some ofthe serious movies too, but somehow there is something oddly difficultabout humour that produces such an ease in the audience.



The other job I'm doing is teaching Deepak and its great so far. Ithink he's really fond of me and that makes me enjoy the job. He likes to chat and that gives us both a break every now and then. I reallyhope his grades pick up although he's only a boy of 13 trying to have fun and do school at the same time, so I'm not much worried. I think he's intelligent and will make it to wherever he wants. Feel like adopting the kid :)



What else? I've started hanging out with a new bunch especially at the movies, and it feels great to have new friends.. sometimes i feel darn lonely though. It comes and goes.. like everything else.

*end of extract*



plus, i also met Ethan from a class I used to take at auc, gosh that must have been 3 years ago, and still we had some recollection. will probably meet him at the movie today. Today its Gabriel Salvatores' "I am not Scared" - really looking forward to that since internet Bob recommended it.



went dancing the other night (Friday night) and it was after that i met ethan. i was going in he was going out. somehow i felt more comfy with the 'newer' bunch i was hanging out with than the two french dudes who didn't seem to be having too much fun. Tant pis!

1 comment:

sisil said...

This is a better way to comment... now non-blogger can post comment as non-anonymous. You can set the comment as a pop up window as well. That's good for people with short attention spans (like me) who forgot what she wants to say about the post. Hence the unrelatedness of this comment with your post.