Sunday, February 6, 2005

Jamie Cullum & me.

We’re doing fine :). I got some jazz, and so much more. (Edit of Jamie Cullum: I got some love, and so much more). Well, I’ve been trying to attend all the movies for the first EU film festival in Cairo. Meeting lots of people, way too many perhaps. Can’t keep track at times. I’d like to develop deeper rather than just more friendships. My personal favourites from the ones I’ve seen so far are: Shouf, Shouf, Habib – just for laughs, great movie, great angles, some real ‘slick’ humour in a more or less boy’s world – then later complications and hahas of integration in a foreign society. Invisible was really good – I wish I had the words… old themes; new perspective. So much better than old themes, old perspective. They steer clear of the formula, and walk a very fine line between formula and melodrama to create some really fresh moments. Intelligent boy wants to run away from home, and punk chick wants to get her revenge on him because of a misunderstanding. He lies in a real limbo between life and death. Today I saw Sea of Silence, an Oscar entry for 2004. I’ve been crying a lot because of these movies, and walking a bit to catch the taxi. But today I walked from the Opera straight to my house, always on the alert to kick some hollering idiot. Thankfully, didn’t have to kick anyone. But I wonder when I can walk home, and not be scared or defensive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tracy chapman: why is a woman still not safe when she's in her home?

one day ...