Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Where I am


Since this is the place where people say you should start, I'll start with where I am. I'm in a nice little place in Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi. It is what I like to call a railway-compartment style apartment, with one room after another. You have to pass through the salon to get to my roommate's room, then you go into the dining room to reach my room at the very end with a tiny balcony. The best part of this place - which I admit is slight underused - is the roof. It has a view of the nearby garden, many many trees, and of course the buildings in the area. On some days it is nice to go upstairs in good weather, with a tea or a cigarette and take it all in, and breathe it all out. It's been two years in Delhi, and they've been a bit of a roller-coaster. I must say though that I've been a little happier when it's been harder. It has worked out. I have had great help. A very good counsellor, supportive family and friends - some of them have been doling wisdom that I only took up later, and then realized what a difference it made. I've come through - a little better, a little stronger than I thought I would. There's still a lot of questions, a lot of areas where I feel lost. I'm learning, though, and I know more than I did before to deal with the newer questions. We're all in the same boat.

No comments: