Friday, May 12, 2006

Triptych

decided to go ahead and post up bits of my writing...

Triptych: a tri-partite work of art (how snobby of me to call this one :))

Sometimes when I stand on the wood-parquet between my bed and the bookshelf in my bedroom, I can hear creaks on the floor. As I sway, the parquet beneath me creaks. It reminds me that there is a space underneath, undiscovered. Have you ever lifted tiles, and found ants underneath, tens of ants, busy, living in an ecosystem unknown to you? It reminds me of stories that my grandmother told me, of people that found treasures buried in their houses, in corners, under floors, between bricks, in gardens, treasures with gold coins, precious stones, statues of gods. Treasures visited by snakes or ghosts. As the parquet wood creaks, I think of those treasures, and how I imagined how very possible it would be for me to find one such treasure.

My parents and I went to look at a house one, a villa sort of place that had a basement. My brother and I thought we could do some "Famous Five" sort of investigative work from the basement there. We already wanted it and we didn't have the house. We lived in an apartment, and it had a secret dark roof above the bathroom that was used as storage. We liked going there. I liked going there. I was of the few that could fit in that space to move in or out storage items. Sheets, extra luggage and so forth.

Once, my art teacher (HS) was very impressed by my abilities in graphology. He thought I could tell him something, just the way I search for psychics online thinking they could tell me something, something mysterious, interesting, something deep about me. Really, if I made a few calculations even I could predict some parts of my own future. I told him that from his writing I could tell he was very concerned about what other people thought about him. He was charmed. "How do you know that?" I wasn't very beguiling at that age, and I can never resist temptations of this sort. So I told him, "because you wrote 'read my handwriting and tell me what other people think of me.'"

2 comments:

RedGal said...

Girl U R O C K and as ever U FONK! Take care and I will see U soon.

CK said...

:) good nick redgal!